If you’ve been around here for some time, chances are that you’re the type of person who likes to find alternative and helpful ways to improve your wellbeing.
I love doing this. And I love sharing the things that I’ve tried first hand, and the things that have actually helped, in hopes that they help others along the way too.
It’s refreshing to read a blog or a book that provides multiple ideas, all in one place too. So I thought to create a list of achievable ways for you to improve your mental health and wellbeing today and moving forward in 2022.
Here are 9 places to start:
1. Read books and listen to podcasts that inspire you, make you laugh, or make you feel understood and remind you that you are not alone. You can check out the latest episodes of The Smiling Soul Podcast here!
2. Find a community of people who are not only like-minded but like-hearted too. You need to be around people who bring out the best in you, encourage, inspire, support, and motivate you in life.
Search your local Meetup (Join this one if you’re in Vienna and other parts of Europe), FB groups, sports clubs, yoga studios, etc. to actively find those people – they’re out there. Be a part of a community that promotes joy and a sense of belonging.
When you feel as though you have outgrown your relationships, seek new beginnings and find the people who will make you feel genuinely loved and appreciated. It’s okay to be selective of the people you invite into your life, especially when it comes to your mental health and wellbeing.
3. Hire a mentor/life coach who can support you in making the big decisions in life that benefit the soul. Mentors are teachers who guide you on a path to understanding yourself better so you can discover the best parts of you.
They open up new doors of possibility, providing clarity and direction – that feels aligned for you. To have someone in your corner, encouraging you along the way is vital when it comes to making positive changes in your life.
I became a mentor after experiencing the powerful benefits of hiring a life coach 3 years ago. Sweet Smiling Soul wouldn’t be where it is today, without the positive influence of mentors and coaches.
You can click here to learn more about the ways I can support you as your mentor. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
4. Try a creative hobby. When you engage in a creative hobby, your mind and body are at the same place at the same time. Release the need for a creation to be perfect, create for the sake of creating and quiet the mind.
You’ll become more present, surprised, challenged in a healthy way, and gain a sense of purpose and achievement.
Sift through the endless ideas on Pinterest or Youtube and do the first creative thing that lights you up!
5. Adopt a mindfulness practice that reminds you to be here, now:
– Breathing techniques
– Meditative walks in nature
– Floating in water
6. Take a social media and technology break. One, two or three days is a great place to start. When you take breaks from social media, you create space for your own ideas to come through, you can engage in more things that make you happy, and stimulate and add value to your mind.
Some people fear that they’ll miss out on something if they’re not online. But the truth is, you miss out of life when you mindlessly scroll on Facebook, Instagram or Tiktok, and the like.
JOMO is what you can embrace for some time – Joy Of Missing Out
7. Spend time in solitude so you can listen to your intuition and deepen your self-love and care practice. Sit by the water or in the forest, and let the fresh air revitalise you and clear away impurities, to invite new ideas and connect with your inner wisdom.
You don’t have to be introverted to enjoy this time alone. Everybody needs a break to themselves at times. You need time to hear yourself think, take a breather, retreat and refill your cup.
8. Try EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). This is a technique where you tap certain meridian points on the upper body with your hand (similar to the points targeted in acupuncture), while repeating affirmations that relate to your current emotional state. You first acknowledge the emotions and then say out loud positive words until you release the unwanted emotions.
I recently tried this while watching a tutorial on YouTube. I’d tried it once before, but didn’t take it all that seriously. However, this time round, I remained focused and surrendered to the process.
I was quite amazed by the results. I burst into tears after the first two minutes and released what no longer served me. It’s good to cry things out sometimes. After this short session, I felt lighter and more calm.
9. Get active. Do an exercise that feels good for you. Something that’s fun. That way you’re enjoying yourself and getting fit at the same time. For example: ride your bike somewhere; play a team sport; go on a walking tour in your city or hire a personal trainer to get you motivated and hold you accountable!
My lovely friend, Paulina, who is a personal trainer and nutritionist, is running a workshop:
Nail Your Fitness Goals Like A Pro
“It’s a workshop for not only beginner athletes but advanced fitness freaks too. It is taking participants from A to B, towards their fitness goals in 2022. After 1 hour, everyone will leave the workshop with a vision board and structured action plan for fitness and healthy habits in 2022.”
Monday 20th December 2021 at 7pm (Berlin, Germany) via Zoom. Click here to learn more and email Paulina to register for this free event: email@example.com.
Which practice will you adopt today?
To enhance your wellbeing journey in 2022, check out the Christmas Self-Care Bundle and save €100!
This value-packed self-care experience is perfect for a soul who is more than ready to start putting themselves first. It could be for you, or for a special friend or relative.
Give an experience this Christmas. Something meaningful and to be remembered.
The Christmas Self-Care Bundle is filled with nurturing guidance, right at your fingertips. Everything that has contributed to my clients’ and students’ own journey to happiness and fulfilment.
To learn more and to get your hands on this gift that keeps on giving, click the button below!
If I can support you in any other way between now and the new year, or if you’d like to discuss ways you can make positive strides in your life during 2022, simply reply to this email.
My 1:1 mentoring is open to new mentees who are ready to embrace more joy, believe in themselves and gain clarity on their path in the new year.